Wednesday 24 April 2013




Voices around Easter 2. 

Judas considers his position.

This monologue takes place around the events of John 12.1-8, read on the 5th Sunday of Lent (Passion Sunday)




 


He likes going to dinner with people. He doesn’t mind at all who it is. Today it’s with friends, which is nice and relaxed, but more often than not he’ll accept an invitation to eat with tax collectors, or go to a well-educated Pharisee’s house and have a deep theological discussion. That’s always entertaining to listen to. The Pharisees and lawyers think they have everything worked out but each time he catches them out by going beyond their codes of practice. They try to define everything in advance, but he just gets to the very centre of what it’s all about. It seems so simple and compelling, but when you try to follow his example it can be very challenging. Nothing turns out the way you would expect. ..

Actually that’s part of the problem at the moment. I’m a pretty practical person. I want to get things done and I want to do them right. And there’s no doubt that Jesus does get things done in his healing and preaching. But I’m sure there’s more than that behind it all …

But what’s that going on now? There’s Mary. It’s her house, with her sister Martha, and we’re using it as our base at the moment. She’s kneeling at Jesus’ feet and .. no! .. she’s pouring a large bottle of perfume over his feet. And now she’s wiping his feet with her hair. That’s quite out of order! Far too familiar and personal! The scent is getting overpowering. It’s almost making me sick. This is not what we are supposed to be doing. We should be helping the poor and not wasting money on gestures like this. I can’t keep quiet about this … Stop! What’s all this waste? …

Later that evening.

I’m sick of the whole thing. I thought it was quite in order and acceptable to complain about the waste of the valuable perfume and that the others would agree with me. They just kept quiet. Why don’t they take some action for a change? Jesus told me quite calmly to leave Mary alone. She’d bought the perfume to keep for the day of his burial. There are always poor people around, but he will not always be here, whatever that means. I found the whole episode offensive. I don’t know what Jesus is going on about. I mean I like him. I think he’s a friend. We get on well together. But then he does go and do these impossible inexplicable things. 

Let’s get to the point. There’s discussion behind the scenes that Jesus might be the Messiah. A lot of what he does fits exactly what scripture tells us the Messiah will do. And we are under the control of the Romans. Just as has happened many times in the past we need a strong religious leader who will take up a sword against the occupiers. He should be the one. It all makes sense. But ..

But not everything makes sense. He’s too kind and forgiving for a military leader. There’s no doubt that he has authority. The lawyers won’t debate with him any more. They always lose the argument and lose face in public as a result. That’s all very well. I’m glad to see the pompous and proud put in their place. But it’s not as easy as that. Arguments certainly won’t work with the Romans. They are ruthless. They’ll crucify anyone caught in rebellion and destroy towns and villages, selling the people into slavery. The only thing that will work is power. We Jews have got enough armed people here in Jerusalem. We just need an incisive leader and organiser and then we’ll show Pilate who we are.
 
Jesus could do it. He could. How can I make him see that? He won’t react to any hints that armed rebellion should be the next step. Doesn’t seem to be his way. But here’s an idea. It’s dangerous. I don’t like it but it may be the only way. Jesus does not seem to plan his schedule very far ahead. He reacts to events. So what if we put him in a corner where he has to react? Now how could that be done? What if I talk to my friend in the High Priest’s house? The priests are angry with Jesus because he is challenging their authority and power. They want him out of the way. It will be safer like that during the Passover. Less chance of a riot and over-reaction by Pilate. They daren’t arrest Jesus in the daytime. .. So what about at night? They’ll need someone who knows him to point him out. I could do that. Then he would have to call upon God to intervene, and the rebellion would start. Yes.. it might work. I’ll see if I can get away and have a word with the High Priest before Passover. When I go shopping might be a good time. The Palace is right next to Tescos.

No comments:

Post a Comment