Wednesday 24 April 2013

Free Time

Free Time

I don't often try my hand at poetry but some time ago I wrote this as a short summary of how the weekend works out for many people today. As one person put it to me 'church doesn't really fit into today's lifestyle'. Or as another said 'I don't need it'.



                         What shall we do today? The weather’s fine,
To Tesco, clean the car or cut the grass?

The day is free, we’re masters of our time.

Let’s fill it full of fun and let it pass.

There’s sport, there’s food, there’s outings, there’s TV

So much to do that we are never free.

Such folk forget, or did they ever know

That joy and peace take space if they’re to grow?

They have no time to join the faithful few,

Who meet each week to pay the Lord his due.

Sunday by Sunday as the weeks go past

The day gets filled with work and not with rest.

So empty is the content of a creed

To busy folk who say ‘I have no need’.

No comments:

Post a Comment