Monday 3 February 2014

Simeon has a visitor - Candlemas.



 A dialogue preached at St John's Church (and at other places before) on Candlemas.

We are in a dimly lit room. There is a bed in a corner on which an old man is half-lying. A jar of wine lies on a low stool by his side. The door opens casting a brighter shaft of daylight onto the man's face, which, although old, is peaceful and bright.
The visitor greets him.

 
Josiah: Good morning, Simeon. I haven't seen you for a few weeks so I came to see how you are getting on. I had heard that you've been in bed for several weeks.

Simeon: Josiah, how good to see you. Thank you for coming. Yes, I have not been very active over the past few weeks. I do seem to be getting weaker, and I think I may not have many days left.

J: I would not have thought that, looking at you. Your face is so bright - almost serene.

S: Yes, it’s funny that I do feel particularly good, even though it’s hard to move, even for a cup of wine. (he stretches up) Perhaps you'd be good enough to refill my jar from the jug in the corner, whilst I think of it!
Whilst Josiah fills the jug, Simeon continues:
Yes, it really goes back to that coincidence in the temple.

J: What do you mean? I heard of nothing unusual in the temple recently, and with all the gossip in Jerusalem, I normally don't miss a thing.

S: No, no. Hardly anyone knows about it. Four people at the most. I think God arranged for the coincidence. It's the kind that only people involved know about.

J: Oh, you mean like Abraham finding a ram trapped by its horns just as he was about to sacrifice Isaac?

S: Perhaps something like that. You see, I'd begun to feel quite weak in the mornings and I was wondering if I would be able to get to the temple every day, as I had in the past. Most days over the past few months something had got me going as the day warmed up, but that day I had decided that I would give it a miss. So instead of getting up, I tried to doze off. But I couldn't

J: So you managed to get up, then?

S: I don't know how. I didn't really think I had the strength. But I did get up and, almost in a dream, I found myself in the temple.

J: I suppose that that is remarkable. I know God can call us to worship and prayer when we feel least like it.

S: Yes indeed, but there was much more to this. That is when the coincidence happened.
Simeon's eyes brightened further as he continued.
I had not been there long when a young mother and her husband appeared. They had brought their tiny baby with them. I seemed to catch their attention. They came up and asked me to bless the baby. You know, parents have asked me to do that many times as I've got older, but it was immediately clear to me that this occasion was quite different and important.

J: And you nearly missed it by staying in bed! Go on .. How do you know it was different?

S: I don't know ..  and yet I do know, very clearly. Something struck me. A clear word from God, not precise, but compelling, confirming what he had told me before. I prophesied. I felt just as Isaiah must have felt.

J: What did you say?

S: I realised that God had led me into the temple despite my weakness just at the right moment to meet this young mother and her baby, and that the blessing would be the last thing that God would ask me to do. So I said:
Lord, now I can die content! For I have seen him as you promised me I would. I have seen the saviour you have given to the world. He is the light that will shine upon the nations and he will be the glory of your people Israel.
It's funny finding yourself speaking in verse, like King David in the psalms, you know.

J: And what did the parents say to your prophesy?

S: Funny. Not much really. They were surprised, and yet it seemed to fit with their expectations.

J: What do you think the prophesy meant?

S: You can't be precise in this sort of thing. I think that this is a very special baby who is going to do something wonderful for God's chosen people.

J: But what about the light and the nations? That's very like Isaiah you know.

S: Yes, and that's a bit of a puzzle. I believe that this baby is something very special for everyone in the world. And there was more too. I saw that there would be great suffering for the mother. That felt so sad, because she looked so gentle and beautiful.

J: You seem very confident about the importance of this meeting. But you said four people know about it. Who was the fourth?

S: Ah yes, that was Anna. You know her?

J: Yes, of course. Everyone does. She's been praying in the temple for years, - ever since her husband died, I believe. I wish I had her faith.

S: Each of us has our own life to offer to God, Josiah, and at the moment you are doing that by visiting me. I'm most grateful.

J: So what happened with Anna?

S: She came up quite suddenly and praised God for the baby in a most unusual way. And then there was silence. We all looked at each other. The whole group seemed to glow with peace. No-one said anything more. After a moment the mother and father looked at each other, gently smiled to each other and then she took the baby from me. They bowed slightly and left. Anna continued her prayer walk around the Court of Women.

J: What did you do then?

S: I just stood there. I have never felt like that before, and the feeling won't go away.

J: What feeling? What's it like?

S: I can't really say. It's as if as I held the child I saw right through to God in heaven. It was just like the prophets write about.

J: How can you be certain?

S: It depends what you mean by certain. I'm certain that you are here with me. I'm certain that if the Roman Governor decrees another tax we shall have to pay. But this is a totally different kind of certainty. I don't see it with my eyes, as I see you. I don't know it with my head, as I know the regulations of the occupying Romans. No, I know it, I'm certain about the meaning of the coincidence and the prophecy in a much deeper way that I cannot put into words. It goes deep into me and has a resonance that does not fade. If I let my thoughts go, I think I actually held God and saw in this child a new way to heaven for all the world. A bit blasphemous for an old Jew? But in my moment of prophecy, and in my present weakness I can be excused, eh?

J: Simeon, this is most amazing. But I think I may understand your certainty. What are you going to do about it?

S: Me? Nothing. It's not up to me. Anyway, not much can happen for a few years. Jerusalem has not seen the last of the baby, I think. See what happens when he comes of age and when he is fully grown up. But we won't see it, Josiah. That will be in 20 or 30 years' time.
But here's another idea. You've livened me up and I feel stronger. Will you help me to the temple so that I can praise God again for that wonderful experience? It might be for the last time.

J: Come on, Simeon. There's still more life left in you. Don't give up!

S: Oh, I haven't given up. I think I'm exactly where God wants me to be, and going where he want me to go. That child has brought me unbelievable peace. Now pass me my cloak and stick, whilst I sit up and put my sandals on. Then we'll be on our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment